Prayer of a Reluctant Leader
Lifelines/Christian Aid (adapted)
- You asked for my hands that you might use them for your purpose,
- I gave them for a moment, then withdrew them for the work was hard.
- You asked for my mouth to speak out against injustice.
- I gave you a whisper that I might not be accused.
- You asked for my life that you might work through me.
- I gave a small part that I might not get too involved.
- Lord, forgive my calculated efforts to serve you
- only when it is convenient for me to do so,
- only in those places where it is safe to do so,
- and only in those who make it easy to do so.
- Lord, forgive me, renew me, heal me, nurture me,
- empower me, send me out as an instrument of your peace
- that I might take seriously the meaning of servant-leadership.