A Teacher's Prayer
Rev. John J. Walker
The Joyful Noiseletter, Nov. `93
- God grant you a towering wisdom
- to impart all blessings of education.
- And when your wisdom fails like a $1.79 transistor radio...
- God grant you an awesome understanding to accept
- the young scoundrel who tests your eminent intellect.
- And when your understanding is tricked and side-tracked
- into babbling bewilderment...
- God grant you the serenity of divine grace to forbear.
- And when your grace is threadbare and an alter-ego imp
- whispers the delicious promptings of retaliation...
- God grant you a magnificent strength to endure.
- And when the last ounce of strength drains pitifully away,
- and it is scarcely 2:00 p.m. on the opening day of school...
- God grant you the blessed breezes of good humor
- to bring the whole, hopeless mess into a new and delightful perspective!