GuideWords: An Anthology of Inspiration and Humor, p. 13
The sun is just rising on the morning of another day,
the first day of the new year. What can I wish that this day, that this
year, may bring to me?
Nothing that shall make the world of others poorer,
nothing at the expense of others; but just those few things which in
their coming do not stop with me but touch me rather, as they pass and
- A few friends who understand me, and yet remain
- A work to do which has real value without which
the world would feel the poorer.
- A return for such work small enough not to tax
unduly anyone who pays.
- A mind unafraid to travel, even though the trail
be not blazed.
- An understanding heart.
- A sight of the eternal hills and unbelting sea,
and of something beautiful the individual hand has made.
- A sense of humor and the power to laugh.
- A little leisure with nothing to do.
- A few moments of quiet, silent meditation. The
sense of the presence of God.
- And the patience to wait for the coming of these
things, with the wisdom to know them when they come.