Dr. Warren Bennis
Dr. Warren Bennis,
professor of management at the School of Business Administration at
the University of Southern California, conducted a four-year study
of outstanding leaders. After examining the source of their
strength, Dr. Bennis discovered what he believes are five strengths
common to all "superleaders."
- Vision – the capacity to create a
compelling vision of a desired state of affairs.
- Communication – the capacity to
communicate that vision in a way that gains the support of
- Persistence – the capacity to maintain
the organization's direction, especially when the going gets
- Empowerment – the capacity to create a
social structure that harnesses the energies and abilities of
others to get the best results.
- Organizational learning – the capacity
to monitor an organization's performance, learn from past
actions, and use the resulting knowledge to forge a course for